Food, beverages, and plant and animal products.
Discussion document: Seeking your views on proposals for regulating organic businesses in the primary sector: Approving businesses and checking compliance with organic standards (49 page(s), in English)
As per notification G/TBT/N/NZL/81, the New Zealand Government is proposing new legislation: the Organic Products Bill for the development of requirements for organic products. The Government is now consulting on regulatory proposals for organic food, beverages, and plant and animal products.
The proposals include:
1. Requiring an organic management plan that demonstrates how the business will meet the organic standard;
2. Having that plan evaluated and the business' operation verified;
3. Applying for approval;
4. Having business operations undergo verification on an ongoing basis to ensure they remain compliant;
5. Including requirements for importers and exporters;
6. Competency, accreditation and skills requirements that third-party verifiers must have in order to apply for these roles; and
7. Developing a national organic mark for approved businesses to use.