single-use plastic products, oxo-degradable plastic products, fishing gear, waste from single-use plastic products
Draft Act limiting the environmental impact of selected plastic products
The proposed Act stipulates rights and obligations for a range of selected plastic products, primarily single-use plastic products that are not manufactured, designed or placed on the market in a manner that allows them to be re-used during their life cycle or to go through several cycles by being returned to the producer to be refilled or re-used for the same purpose for which they were intended. The plastic products for which the proposed Act
stipulates new rules for limiting their environmental impact are both non-packaging plastic products (cotton bud sticks, cutlery, wet wipes, tobacco products with filters, etc.) and plastic packaging products (food containers, cups for beverages, etc.).
- In accordance with Article 5 of Directive (EU) 2019/904, the draft Act primarily prohibits placing some selected plastic products on the market and into circulation.
- In accordance with Article 7 of Directive (EU) 2019/904, the proposed Act stipulates that certain selected plastic products (for example sanitary towels and tampons, wet wipes and tobacco products with filters, etc.) must be marked with specified information for consumers.
- In accordance with Article 8 of Directive (EU) 2019/904, the draft Act also requires the introduction of extended producer responsibility schemes for certain types of plastic products.
- In accordance with Article 10, the draft Act stipulates awareness raising measures. The draft Act stipulates that a manufacturer of specified plastic products (e.g. wet wipes, balloons, etc.) must, as part of awareness raising measures, inform consumers of the established facts.
- The proposed Act also stipulates record-keeping and reporting obligations to fulfil annual reporting requirements to the European Commission pursuant to Article 13(1) of Directive (EU) 2019/904.
Keywords: selected plastic products, single-use plastic products, oxo-degradable plastics, fishing gear, waste, waste from single-use plastic products
References to relevant European Union legislation:
Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 on waste and repealing certain Directives, as amended by Commission Regulation (EU) No 1357/2014, Commission Directive (EU) 2015/1127, Council Regulation (EU) 2017/997 and Directive (EU) 2018/851 of the Eur opean Parliament and of the Council.
Directive (EU) 2019/904 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 June 2019 on the reduction of the impact of certain plastic products on the environment.
Regulation (EU) No 1380/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2013 on the Common Fisheries Policy, amending Council Regulations (EC) No 1954/2003 and (EC) No 1224/2009 and repealing Council Regulations (EC) No 2371/2002 and (EC) No 639/2004 and Council Decision 2004/585/EC, as amended.
Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/2151 of 17 December 2020 laying down rules on harmonised marking specifications on single-use plastic products listed in Part D of the Annex to Directive (EU) 2019/904 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the reduction of the impact of certain plastic products on the environment.