Pre-packaged foods (ICS 67.040)
Draft MOPH Notification, B.E, entitled "The Labelling of Genetically Modified Foods (GMFs)" (2 page(s), in Thai)
The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) is proposing to revise the MOPH Notification concerning "The Labelling of Genetically Modified Foods (GMFs)" as follows:
1. The Notification of the Ministry of Public Health (No. 251) B.E. 2545 (2002), Re: Labelling of Food Products Obtained Through Certain Techniques of Genetic Modification/Genetic Engineering, dated 8 December B.E. 2545 (2002), shall be repealed.
2. In addition to the general labelling requirements in accordance with relevant food labelling laws, food containing or consisting of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) or produced from GMOs should be labelled as follows:
(a) Food containing or consisting ofGenetically Modified Plants (GM-Plants) five percent or greater than five percent (≥5%) for each ingredient,
(b) Food containing or consisting of Genetically Modified Animals(GM-animals) five percent or greater than five percent (≥5%) for each ingredient,
(c) Food produced by using Genetically Modified Microorganisms (GMMs).
3. The labelling requirements for GMFs;
(a) Where the food consists only one ingredient, the text "Genetically Modified" shall appear on the labelin conjunction with, or in close proximity, to the name of foods.
(b) Where the food consists of more than one ingredient, the text "Genetically Modified" shall be appear on the label in conjunction with, or in close proximity to, or under the name of ingredient.
(c) Where the food produced from GM-plants or GM-animals or using GMMs, the text " [food name/product name] produced from [ type of GMO ]"shall appear on the label.
(d) The words shall be prominent and readily legible. It shall be displayed in bold letter, colour contrast between text and its background and the space of label shall be proportionate.
(e) Additional labelling by displaying of symbol, the word "GMO" with black colour in a triangle with yellow background; or text for providing the additional information to consumers through mobile phone applications or electronic or digital link disclosure; is voluntary.
4. Exemption from this regulation;
(1) Foods products that can prove that it is a non-GMO by traceability certification system,
(2) Foods products produced by small scaled producers and directly sold to consumers,
(3) Foods products prepared and sold by restaurants or vending vehicles,
(4) Foods products that do not contain any detectable genetic material or protein resulting from genetic modification in the final product (Highly refined foods).
5. Text of "Free from Genetically Modified Food" or "Non Genetically Modified Food" or "Do Not Contain Constituents of Genetically Modified Food" or "Segregated Genetically Modified Constituent" or any other similar text or symbols shall be prohibited by this regulation.
6. Labelling of Genetically Modified Foods (GMFs) which were allowed before the enforcement date of this regulation, can be sold in the market but not more than two years as from the date that this regulation comes into force.
7. This notification shall come into force after 180 days from its publication in the Thai Royal Gazette.