Food in general (ICS Code: 67.040)
Draft MOPH Notification, B.E. ..., entitled " Genetically Modified Foods (GMFs)" (34 page(s), in Thai)
In order to ensure the high level of protection of human health and consumer's concerns while providing fair marketing, Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) is proposing the draft notification on Genetically Modified Foods. This notification set the control measures for Food containing or consisting of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) or produced from GMOs including plants, animals and microorganisms;
1. Prescribed foods containing or produced from GMOs (Genetically Modified Foods; GMFs) have not undergone food safety assessment yet which are prohibited to be produced, imported or sold in the country. Then, new GMFs other than those lists in Annex I must be evaluated by the risk assessors agency recognized by FDA in Thailand.
2. Annex I shows the list of Genetically Modified Plants that have passed food safety assessment by the risk assessors agency recognized by FDA in Thailand.
3. Products consisting of or containing Genetically Modified Microorganisms which are capable of multiplication or of transferring genes (e.g. live starter cultures) are prohibited for use as food.
4. Data and Information required for food safety assessment of GMOs for food use or food are provided in;
4.1 Annex II: food safety assessment of foods containing or produced from Genetically Modified Plants
4.2 Annex III: food safety assessment of foods containing or produced from Genetically Modified Microorganisms and
4.3 Annex VI: food safety assessment of foods containing or produced from Genetically Modified Animals.
5. The Applicant shall submit the method of analysis and also the reference material to the competent laboratory for the detection and identification of the transformation event in the food and/or in foods produced from it.
6. Labelling requirement for GMFs have been stated in the MoPH Notification Re: Labelling for pre-packaged foods and in the draft of MoPH Notification Re: Labelling for Genetically modified Foods.
7. An importer of GMFs are required to bear certified document or evidences show that GMFs have passed a food safety assessment in the country.
8. Foods containing or consisting of Genetically Modified Plants which are not included in Annex I and on the market before the enforcement of this notification shall submit information for food safety assessment within five years from the date of entry into force of this notification
9. Once a GMFs has been authorised, it shall re-assessed if there are any adverse effect occurs or there are new scientific evidence show the significant effect on health of the approved GMFs.
10. This notification shall come into force on 90th day after being notified in the Royal Gazette.