- HS 38249956 Cartridges and refills, filled, for electronic cigarettes, and preparations for use in the cartridges and refills, containing nicotine or its salts, ethers, esters or other derivatives thereof
- HS 38249957 Cartridges and refills, filled, for electronic cigarettes, and preparations for use in the cartridges and refills, not containing nicotine or its salts, ethers, esters or other derivatives thereof - HS 85437070 Electronic cigarettes
- HS 24 Tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes
- HS 29397910 Nicotine and its salts
The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Regulations 2021 (the Smokefree Regulations), 83 pages in English.
Vaping (and smokeless tobacco) products are now regulated under the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990 (the Act). The regulations relating to the vaping and smokeless tobacco products are contained in new Parts 4 to 7. The Smokefree Regulations bring the new provisions of the Act into effect and set out requirements for the following areas:
· manufacturers' price lists for tobacco products (Part 3, Subpart 2)
· product availability notices in retail premises (Part 5, Subpart 3)
· point of sale purchase age information (Part 5, Subpart 3)
· authorised harm-reduction notices in retail settings (Part 5, Subpart 3)
· packaging requirements (Part 4 and Part 5, Subparts 1 and 2)
The packaging requirements are based on United Kingdom packaging requirements, which are based on the European Union Tobacco Products Directive.
· product notification and safety requirements (Part 6)
The product safety requirements are based on European Union and United Kingdom legislation and guidance, with appropriate adaptations for the New Zealand market.
Vaping substance ingredients must comply with the United States Pharmacopeia or European Pharmacopoeia monograph.
Flavours must meet food standards in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code 2002.
· annual reporting and returns (Part 7)
· fees (Part 7).