Tobacco, tobacco products and related equipment (ICS 65.160)
Draft Law on control of tobacco, tobacco products and related products of the Republic of Lithuania on amendment of Articles 2, 9, 9(2), 9(3), 9(10), 9(11), 14, 14(1), 16, 18, 25 and 26, No. XIIIP-4620(2) (7 page(s), in Lithuanian)
(1) The provisions of the Law are amended in accordance with the Directive 2014/40/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 3 April 2014 on the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products and repealing Directive 2001/37/EC (hereinafter – the Tobacco Products Directive).
(2) A ban on the publication of price reductions for tobacco products, products related to tobacco products* (hereinafter – tobacco related products) and equipment intended for the use of such products is introduced. Additional bans that encourage/promote the purchase and consumption of tobacco products and tobacco related products were introduced (e.g. ban on the free distribution of tobacco related products and equipment intended for the use of tobacco products and tobacco related products and / or new samples thereof; ban of the supply of tobacco related products and equipment intended for the use of tobacco products and tobacco related products as prizes for lotteries, competitions, games or in conjunction with them; ban on the organization of games and competitions and lotteries to promote the purchase and / or use of tobacco related products and equipment intended for the use of tobacco products and tobacco related products; ban on the manufacture and / or sale of toys, foodstuffs and other goods the design of which imitates tobacco related products, equipment for the use of tobacco products and tobacco related products, etc.). Ban on the sale of equipment for the use of tobacco products and tobacco related products to persons under the age of 18 is introduced.
* A product related to tobacco products means an electronic cigarette, a refill container for electronic cigarettes or a herbal product for smoking.
(3) In relation to term of electronic cigarette amended in accordance with the Tobacco products directive, the general requirements for the composition and quality of nicotine-free electronic cigarettes and their cartridges are set accordingly:
- only ingredients which do not pose a risk to human health in heated or unheated form, with the exception of nicotine in a e-liquid containing nicotine, may be used in the manufacture of the e-liquid;
- only ingredients of high purity shall be used in the manufacture of the e-liquid. Substances other than the constituents of the product and the emissions resulting from its use may only present in the e-liquid in quantities which are technologically unavoidable during manufacture;
- placing on the market of electronic cigarettes and their cartridges is prohibited if the liquid contains the following additives:
1) vitamins or other additives that create the impression that a electronic cigarettes or its cartridge has a health benefit or presents reduced health risks;
2) caffeine or taurine or other additives and stimulant compounds that are associated with energy and vitality;
3) additives having colouring properties for emissions;
4) additives that have CMR properties in unburnt form.
(4) A provision suggested to be established in the Law that the Government of the Republic of Lithuania or an institution authorized by it shall approve the order applicable to natural persons regarding the storage and transportation of tobacco related products.