Plants, plant products and regulated items
Loi n° 1/23 du 23 novembre 2017 portant protection des végétaux au Burundi (Law No. 1/23 of 23 November 2017 on plant protection in Burundi)
The notified Law seeks to:
- Establish and implement a legal framework of protection measures concerning actions to officially control organisms that are harmful to plants, including those from third countries, and to prevent the spread of such organisms within the territory;
- increase agricultural productivity through the application of phytosanitary measures in accordance with the International Plant Protection Convention and the Agreement on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures of the World Trade Organization; and
- establish a national plant protection organization that is the authority responsible for implementing this Law, in accordance with the International Plant Protection Convention.
This Law establishes health protection for plants, plant products and regulated items through:
- The prevention and official control of pests, in terms of both the introduction and spread thereof throughout the national territory;
- the dissemination and popularization of plant protection techniques to improve plant production; and the provision of support for exports and imports of plants and plant products.