tyre rubber secondary raw material
On the approval of the description of end-of-waste criteria for recycled tyres
The aim of the project is to establish end-of-waste criteria for recycled tyres. The system of these criteria will be used for the recycling of tyre waste by companies and for the supervision of these activities by public authorities.
The main criteria are:
– Rubber material derived from mechanically recycled tyre waste (e.g. obtained by abrasion, granulating, crushing, grinding, cutting) (hereinafter referred to as ‘tyre rubber secondary raw material’) is classified as one of the following materials:
1. ‘rubber powder’ means rubber material obtained by grinding tyre waste with a particle size of not more than 0,8 millimetre (mm);
2. ‘rubber granules’ means rubber material obtained by granulating tyre waste with a particle size ranging from 0.9 mm to 20 mm;
3. ‘rubber fibres’ means rubber material, possibly containing textile additives, obtained by crushing or crushing tyre waste and having an irregular particle size of between 10 mm and 50 mm;
4. ‘cut rubber’ means rubber material, possibly containing textile additives, obtained by crushing or grinding tyre waste, with an irregular particle size ranging from 50 mm to 300 mm;
5. ‘rubber residues’ means rubber material, possibly containing textile additives, obtained by crushing, grinding or cutting tyre waste and having an irregular particle size of between 300 mm and 500 mm.
– the IPPC permit or pollution permit stipulates that the on-going use of tyre waste is to be attributed to code R3 (Recycling/recovery of organic substances not used as solvents (including composting and other biological conversion processes));
– do not have the hazardous properties set out in Annex III to Regulation (EU) No 1357/2014, do not have or are not contaminated with substances listed in Annex IV to Regulation (EU) 2019/1021 in concentrations above the specified concentration limits;
– meet the conditions for restrictions on the manufacture, placing on the market and use of dangerous substances, mixtures and articles set out in Annex XVII to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006;
– for use in the manufacture of products, no further processing is required.